Monday, February 15, 2010

Graphic Novel - Goodbye Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson (9)


I love comics. When I was a kid, I would borrow my brother's Marvel comic books. I spent the majority of my babysitting money on manga (Japanese comics) in middle and high school. Now a good friend is loaning me graphic novels from his own collection. I'm not counting these in my 52 books for the year, but I enjoy these so much that I can't help it. I need to do even a tiny review.

Goodbye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson

How do we say goodbye? When is the right time to leave loved ones behind in our endless search for meaning in life? Chunky Rice, the adorable turtle on the cover, leaves his best friend and journeys alone, hoping to eventually find where he belongs. Chunky asks Dandel, his also adorable mouse girlfriend, to travel with him, but she has already found her home. So she writes him notes that simply say "I Miss You" (for what else is there to say?) and sends them in bottles after his departing ship.

This short graphic novel is a tale of grief and growing up, relationships and the real world. The art is simple, all black and white, but oh-so-cute. I loved it. It is touching and sweet, but not saccharine. I liked the author's perspective on different types of grief and how they affect our families and loves. The personalities were both strange and genuine.

It kind of reminded me of the end of high school. You go off to college, leaving all that's familiar behind in a search for yourself. How important is that search anyway? And why must we leave our loves behind to embark? Often we don't realize that our relationships define and shape us, and we abandon the best ones before learning that new experiences don't always help us find ourselves.

4 comments:

  1. I think I read Carnet De Voyage years ago, which was more of a travel journal. I actually liked it very much because I have traveled extensively and appreciated his experiences. I am an archetypal literary critic and I suspect Goodbye Chunky Rice would be a perfect subject for the heroic quest pattern. I'll pick up a copy and let you know what I find. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first I've read from Thompson, but I've heard a lot of good things about Blankets and his work in general. This book also deals with family issues and disabilities. I think I will check out Carnet De Voyage as well.

    I've really appreciated the authenticity of experience and relationships in the graphic novels I've read so far. The ones I read when I was a kid were very romanticized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered Goodbye Chunky Rice from B & N today. I'll pick it up Saturday. I'd like to use it in the classroom. I'll post my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a follow-up, I read the book and I'm not sure Chunky Rice will be suited for my class this semester, but it is enjoyable. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete