Monday, July 5, 2010

Woman at Point Zero by Nawal El Saadawi (24)

Firdaus, the main character and narrator of most of Woman at Point Zero , is continually molested, raped and beaten by the men around her. She finally finds a sort of power when she discovers that the tools men use to abuse and control her only mask their terror of a woman who is not afraid of men. Unlike Hollywood heroines, she finds this power in murder and loses her fear of death in prison.

I can't say anything about the questions I was left pondering without sounding angry and self-righteous or after-school-specialy. I picked this book up because I'm falling behind on my 52/52 and needed a quick read. For a quick read, it certainly is lingering as I think about women who are abused like this and what it means for the fight against the mildly irritating sexism I experience as a symptom of unresolved misogyny in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment