Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (2)

The Alchemist is swift and grand. It sweeps over a transcontinental journey, enormous life changes, and vast philosophies without wordiness. Brevity is power, and the book quickly snared my affection. A seminarian becomes a shepherd (symbolism!) out of wanderlust, dreams of a great treasure and forsakes the safety of familiarity on a mission to complete his life's narrative. It is an adventurous, romantic, philosophical coming-of-age tale in 167 pages. Every character was likable, even the thieves and bandits. How could I hate them, knowing they were each an important part of Santiago's quest?

The story is warm, the writing poetic and the message inspiring, despite the pantheism. I consumed this book and felt nourished and encouraged. It is an optimistic fantasy, but surprisingly pertinent. Discovering desires we have suppressed, resisting the easy routine, trusting instincts, accepting opportunities, conquering disappointments on the way to a higher goal - it is the most enjoyable self-improvement book I have read yet. Some might think it is too idealistic or too pagan. They wouldn't be wrong. But with captivating images, charming characters and a satisfying conclusion, there is only everything to love about this short book.

1 comment:

  1. yey! I read two books already too! I don't think I can read as quickly as you though. I am only 60 pages through my third book now but that is a 400 paged book.

    This story you read does sound interesting but I don't think it is my type of story that I am into.

    ReplyDelete